What is a Community Share Offer?
There is no universal legal definition, however we are referring here to Withdrawable Shares which are recognised by the Financial Services Authority when issued by registered Co-operatives and Community Benefit Societies. This is a way for individuals to support community enterprise by offering investment which can later be withdrawn once the project is financially self-supporting. Long term investments support the further work of the group, and the hope is that many of our investors will maintain their investment for many years. However, we understand of course that circumstances can change and once our projects are generating income we should be able to return investments to those who need to withdraw them.
This independent advice document has been produced by Co-operatives UK and the Development Trusts Association to assist people considering purchasing Community Shares.
For more information please see: Investing in Community Shares
Our Community Share Offer
We welcome investment from concerned citizens to allow us to continue to buy empty office and commercial space and convert it back into permanently affordable homes. Any investment from £50 to £100,000, or donation, is welcome. This is a chance to build a new social housing model in a country that houses its own people.
- You will be part of developing a fairer, more rational housing provision for ordinary people in need of affordable housing. Initially in the City of Bristol, we hope to facilitate similar projects nationwide using what we learn.
- You will be entitled to vote at General Meetings of the group, one vote for each shareholder regardless of share value. General Meetings are held quarterly with the AGM in the Autumn.
- After a full year of occupation, the Society should be able to pay interest on all investments. We are predicting 1% from year 3 (this being year 1), 2% in years 4 and 5, rising to 3% from year 6 onwards.
- Investing in a project such as ours qualifies for Social Investment Tax Relief, which can return tax paid out by investors as well as being exempt from Capital Gains Tax when funds are used to purchase social investments. Further information can be found at www.hmrc.gov.uk/sitr.
How it Works
AEOB launched this community share offer to raise the necessary capital for any private individual or institution to invest. By purchasing shares you will be supporting something with a clear community benefit. They key benefits are:
- The land, anything we build on it and the finished building will be long term assets for the community of Bristol, to be held in perpetuity for community benefit. In the event the society were to be dissolved, there is a ‘statutory asset lock’ in place which prevents the disposal of assets other than in line with the society’s principles.
- By investing you will be providing affordable housing, fostering and building a spirit of community.
- By investing you will be providing a community enterprise and supporting the sustainable economic activity of the area.
Please read the following:
The Share Application Form may be filled in online, printed out, signed and posted to us.
Want to know more and talk to us first?
AEOB welcomes all who can contribute to making our vision a reality. Join our list of volunteers, attend our Steering Group, help fundraising.
Contact us about volunteering.
Register interest in living in an AEOB property
We have meetings every month for potential residents, at the site. By coming along you can help make our vision a home that you wish to live in, create a community around and self manage.
Contact us about being a resident.
Applications Open! – 2-bed Flat – Deadline 20th November
We are taking applications from potential tenants for a flat that will soon be available in our Batten’s Lane project.
It is our mission to offer affordable housing for families in a cooperative environment.
The flat specifications are as follows:
- 2-bedroom, open-plan, ground floor flat (maximum occupancy: 3).
- Energy efficient building, underfloor heating, self-contained with shared laundry space.
- Quiet, residential location, shared garden, private parking.
- £675 pcm, £21 service charge. Housing benefit accepted.
The successful applicant will be expected to take part in the housing cooperative. There are 6 flats in total and each tenant contributes to the cooperative.
If you would like to apply, please contact us using the contact form on this website. You will then receive an initial questionnaire and, if shortlisted, invited to interview. The successful applicant will also be given a 6-month probation period.
Deadline for applications: 20th November 2017
Shortlisting: 23rd November 2017